Our practical sheets

Our practical sheets

Rental and insurance

Location information

Tenant's insurance

The law requires the tenant to insure himself against the risks for which he is responsible as a tenant, if he rents an unfurnished property as his principal residence.
For other types of leases (furnished, commercial lease...), the lease generally requires the tenant to take out insurance covering his risks.

Note: the tenant must prove that he/she has taken out the insurance when he/she enters the property, and then every year.
Failure to take out the insurance or to prove it can lead to the termination of the lease.

Lessor's insurance

For property in co-ownership, each co-owner is obliged to insure against the risks of civil liability for which he/she is responsible in his/her capacity as owner-occupier or non-occupier.
For other property, the owner is not obliged to take out insurance to cover damage to the property. However, in view of the low cost of such insurance, it seems reasonable to take it out.

The landlord 's insurance is generally called "PNO" (Propriétaire Non Occupant) insurance. It may be useful to take out a guarantee that fully covers the property during periods when it is not occupied by a tenant.

Note: in the case of a condominium, the property manager takes out insurance covering the common areas of the building. Usually, this insurance does not cover all the damage that may occur in the condominium lot.

The lessor can also take out insurance covering rental risks. This insurance covers unpaid rent and often damage caused by an unauthorized tenant, or even the costs of proceedings against the tenant.

Note : for a building in co-ownership, the syndic takes out an insurance policy covering the common parts of the building. Frequently, this insurance is not sufficient to guarantee the damages that may occur in the condominium lot.